Olive oil is a Mediterranean tradition that is supported in our restaurant!
SEAFOOD IS A FRIEND OF YOUR HEART!
Olive oil is the pure juice of pressed olives. It is an amazing product. Here are some interesting facts about it.
- The olive tree is native to the Mediterranean basin and archeological evidence shows that it was produced as early as 4000 BC.
- Extra virgin olive oil comes from the first pressing of the olives with no chemicals used to extract the oil. This means it has a wonderful, fresh, clean taste.
- The color of olive oil is dependent on the pigments in the fruit - Green Olives give a green oil because of the high chlorophyll content. Ripe olives give a yellow oil because of the carotenoid (yellow red) pigments.
- The fresher the olive oil, the better the taste. After a year or so, oil is best used for cooking and fresh oil used for salad dressings and other cold uses.
- One olive tree can produce around four liters of oil every year for hundreds of years.